Vertical Stabilizer
Horizontal Stabilizer
AirVenture 2006
Horizontal Stab. Cont.
Elevators Part 2

Main Spar
Main Ribs
Rear Spar/Top Skins
Leading Edges
Fuel Tanks
Fuel Tanks continued

25-26:Getting Started
28:Forward Ribs/Skins
29:Fuse Side Skins
30-31:Steps, Fwd Fuse
32-33:Tailcone, Baggage
34-35:Baggage Door, Etc.
36-37:Brake & Fuel Lines

Finishing Kit
38-39:Brake/Rudder Pedals
40-41:Flaps/Fwd Fuse
42:Cabin Top
Instrument Panel
43:Cabin Cover
Overhead Console
45:Doors (cont)
Door Latch
More Door Work
Landing Gear
Misc. Stuff
Panel Work
Wingtip Lights
Cowl Work
Wing Work
Empennage Tips
Empennage Attach
Wing Attach
Final Prep Work
More Final Prep
Gear Fairings
Inspection and First Flight

Firewall Forward
Engine Installation


Previous: Ailerons


6/29/07 - Flaps - 4 Hours

Well, it's been a while but I'm finally back at it. Some time has passed since I assembled the skeletons for the flaps. So, now that I finally I have a bit of time to devote to the project, I got busy removing blue plastic from the skins.


I assembled the left flap and match-drilled all of the holes. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to do the right side to match.


Because the hinge brackets extend so far below the flaps, I raised the flap assembly up off of the workbench using some 2x4s.





7/1/07 - 7/15/07 - Lots of Work - 20 hours

Okay, I did a lot of work that I haven't documented yet, so here's the update.

I did the marathon session of scuffing all the parts for both flaps. As you can see in this picture, I mistakenly scuffed the wrong side of one of the top skins, so it's going to look "used".

I dragged all the parts out onto the driveway and did a big priming job. Fortunately, I think I got the primer on the correct sides of the skins.


As is my custom, I forgot (again) to mask the trailing edge, so I had to clean the primer from the rivet line along the trailing edge in anticipation of bonding them with tank sealant.

Next, I started riveting, following the instructions for sequence.


The leading edge ribs are pop-riveted in place.



Here's the big goof I made on the flaps. Notice that the platenut is on the outside of the rib. It should be on the inside. Arg.

So, I had to drill out the outboard rib on both flaps and swap them.


Here's what the flap looks like with the outboard ribs removed.



Finally I reached the point where the trailing edges get bonded with tank sealant. I went to Home Depot and bought an 8' piece of MDF shelving material and a few 2x4s to make a flat table surface for the flaps. I then weighed it down while the sealant cured.

Next: Tailcone